Friday, July 18, 2008

when I heard the learn'd astronomer

When I heard the Learn'd Astronomer by Walt Whitman. Illustrations by Loren Long.
This book is about a little boy who went to hear an astronomer speak. Before the speech, the little boy was exploring the gallery. He was looking and interacting with all that he saw. He was learning and discovering on his own. Then his mom pulls the reluctant boy away to here the astronomers speech. The boy is soon bored. After the speech is over the boy leaves the building to walk on his own. The boy ends up gazing at the stars. I would like to think that the astronomers speech has given him a better understanding and appreciation for the stars and the universe; and that some day this curious little boy will be giving his own speeches just like the astronomer.
I think I liked this book, but I am not sure how much I liked it. I loved the beautiful illustration, and the words were beautiful as well. However, the book did not feel like a children's book. It was a little too grown up. It was not cute, or funny or any of those things we typically associate with children's picture books. I am wondering if children can appreciate this book, or will it be a little stale for their tastes? I think I might try it out in the classroom just to see how the kids react to it.

6 comments:

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

You're so right: like I said yesterday, the way the text is isolated from the illustrations throws me. It's a beautiful book. Even so, if I were teaching preK like you plan, I'd have it around for the pictures, but I wouldn't use it as a read aloud. I'd maybe tell the story based on the pictures instead. ?

Amanda J. said...

I would also try it in class just to see if the students would pay attention or not to the story. They might just want to keep seeing the big pictures as the story is read to them. Amanda J.

Mary Blake Daniel said...

I agree with you that it does not seem to be a children's book. While the illustrations and the words are beautiful, I am not sure that younger children will be able to appreciate what the book is actually saying. I plan to one day teach younger children as well and I don't think that I will necessarily share this book with them in a read aloud. It will definitely be on my shelf though for them to look through if they wish.

Melissa Bailey said...

You make a very good point about this book! The illustration are beautiful and the poem it self is fabulous, but I am not sure children especially young children would truly appreciate this book in its entirety.

Jesica said...

i agree with you completely Christian! I always associate children't literature with being cute and having a meaningful story, but this book almost seemed to be too much for kids. i can't really think of a lesson plan or activity i could relate to this particular book... maybe i am just missing something...i dunno...

Tamara said...

I also agree with all of these comment. I think that students who are interested in the stars and astronmy would love to look at the illustration and maybe they could make up their own words to the story.