Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Craft lesson #1

Writing a Book About What Happens During the Day

Discussion:
At the pre-k level children are usually not capable of writing sentences on their own. However, with their teachers help pre-k students can become writers. They can dictate words to their teachers and draw pictures that tell a story or have meaning. This lesson will primarily be an exercise in writing.

Procedure:
I will read the students Apple Pie Fourth of July by Janet Wong. Since it is a longer more mature book, I will only read parts of the book. I will shorten it to one or two sentences per page. I will ask the students if they noticed that in the book different things were happening at different times. I will then explain to the students that we are going to write our own book about what we are doing at different times during the day. Every student will be assigned to a different time during the school day. Throughout the day I will ask students to dictate to me what they are doing or did during those different times. At the top of the page each student will have a time and what the activity is for that time. For example, 11:30: Lunch time, will appear at the top of the page. Then I will take the students diction of what they want to write at the bottom of the page. For example, "We ate spaghetti and bread" will appear at the bottom of the page. I will then ask students to draw on their page a picture to go with their words. I will also take pictures of the children during the different times during the day. After all the students have completed their pages. I will read the book to the class. I will then ask the students to come up with a title for the book. We will decide or vote as a class which title we like best. On the cover page of the book I will write the title and every child's name as the author. I will then laminate the book. When you open to the various pages you will see the child's drawing and words. Then on the corresponding page I will have a photograph of the class during that time. I think the photographs will help the children recognize what activity is designated on each page. Children also like looking at photographs of themselves and their friends. I will place the book on our book shelf for the children to read on their own.


Note: Another good book to read for this lesson would be The Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle.

3 comments:

Jesica said...

wow...i really like your craft lesson! i like how you allow the younger kids to dictate words to the teacher to allow them to become writers at an early age! i would actually use this kind of lesson in my current job!

Tamara said...

I think that this lesson is great for young students. Children love being able to talk about what they are doing throughout the day and it is also good for them to learn the school routine. This would be a good lesson at the beginning of the year to help student's remember their schedule

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

Christian: I like the CL in general, but most of all I appreciate your note at the bottom suggesting alternate titles, in this case the Carle title.