Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Talented Clementine

The Talented Clementine by Sara Pennypacker

Overall, I am undecided on how I feel about this book. I liked the character Clementine. She is creative and has a unique way of looking at things. She is a funny, quirky and intelligent little girl. However, I found myself getting bored with the book. I really did not care to read on to find out how Clementine resolved her problem. What bothers me is that I can not describe what exactly it was about the book that I did not like. I felt that I should have liked it more than I did. I think that children would really enjoy this book. I think that they too would like Clementine and could relate to the story. Lots of children have a hard time recognizing their talents. If I have a book that I think kids would really enjoy even though I did not, should I still give a book talk on it? Should I give it a positive review because I think the kids would really enjoy it? I think I might give a quick talk on it, but omit my personal feelings about it.

2 comments:

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

Christian: always the solid questions: I've found myself in similar situations a few times: I don't much care for a book (for whatever reason(s)) but know students are more likely to: I don't review it positively, I don't review it at all: I will booktalk it, though. With this title, you said it best, you know kids often feel left out of talent shows or sports or band, etc. because they just can't do that thing well. And they'd love the book. So you booktalk it, you tell them what it's about, and best of all, you don't have to pass judgment (which in a review you do).

Carmen O said...

I agree that the book did seem a little too long. It seemed that the author kind of dragged some parts out a little too long.